Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 18, 2015

René Descartes

René Descartes
________________

During My college-years I came to know about René Descartes and His contribution to Co-ordinate Geometry. I have always studied Mathematics in a poetic vein. I know just as there is metrical and non-metrical 'Poetry', there is also metrical and non-metrical 'Mathematics', There is 'Music' and all Art-forms in these 2 genres. We know 'Abstract-Art', an example of Art of the non-metrical kind.
Almost at the same time when I was studying 'Analytical Geometry' which was a 'poetry' to me, I came to know about 'Cogito ergo sum' perhaps the most famous statement given by René Descartes.
I wondered if the Father of Analytical Geometry and this statement 'Cogito ergo sum' was the one and the same? My Professor told me yes, and was amazed at my posing this question before him.
After so many years I again came in touch with this phrase of René Descartes.
'Cogito ergo sum' is Latin form of  Descartes' original phrase, je pense, donc je suis.
And I arrived at the idea (not inference / conclusion though) that the Latin translation of this French phrase was perhaps erroneous and even misleading.
My Sanskrit Background always comes to help me when I study texts in languages other than my mother-tongue (Hindi, Marathi,)
I at once realized that 'je pense, donc je suis' literally means.
I know 'pense' means thinking. in Sanskrit this has root verb 'pand' (पंड्) > pandit, which means to think deep. suis  is same as 'self ' (स्व).
We are told by linguists these roots came from Greek, though I instantly see how most of the words could be easily derived from Sanskrit. But here I am concerned about  René Descartes and his 'Discourse on the Method'.(1637), which was written in French rather than Latin to reach a wider audience in his country than scholars.
Analytical Geometry helped me see How  René Descartes's efforts were fully in tune with 'Vedika' stream of thought.
Veda demonstrates The Supreme Reality (Brahman / ब्रह्मन्) of having 'kalA' / factors that manifest as parts, or the 'partial-manifestation'. And like the opening-up and closing-back of a Lotus-flower, manifestation and dissolution of the existence go on in a rhythm.
I looked at the The Cartesian Co-ordinates 2-D or 3-D in the same frame.
I also interpreted the statement 'cogito ergo sum' made by René Descartes in the same spirit.
Once again cogito ergo sum reminds me of the Sanskrit words संज्ञितो अवऋक्त सं , this is also in full coherence with the meaning of these Sanskrit words .
Summarily, I could interpret the meaning of  'cogito ergo sum' / संज्ञितो अवऋक्त सं even better in a poetic way. I would say :
"This manifestation (of time-space and Life) is but expression in many forms of the unique principle only."
Again at the same time, this principle itself could not be said to have attributes of 'one' or 'many'.
So this is 'Unique' in that sense.
Yesterday a friend felt I was not doing justice to  René Descartes in my interpretation of his famous statement :
'cogito ergo sum' / 'je pense, donc je suis'.
And I had to go through this exercise....
--
  
  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
ujjain, m.p., India
My Prominant Translation-Works Are: 1.अहं ब्रह्मास्मि - श्री निसर्गदत्त महाराज की विश्वप्रसिद्ध महाकृति "I Am That" का हिंदी अनुवाद, चेतना प्रकाशन मुम्बई, ( www.chetana.com ) से प्रकाशित "शिक्षा क्या है ?": श्री जे.कृष्णमूर्ति कृत " J.Krishnamurti: Talks with Students" Varanasi 1954 का "ईश्वर क्या है?" : "On God", दोनों पुस्तकें राजपाल संस, कश्मीरी गेट दिल्ली से प्रकाशित । इसके अतिरिक्त श्री ए.आर. नटराजन कृत, श्री रमण महर्षि के ग्रन्थों "उपदेश-सारः" एवं "सत्‌-दर्शनं" की अंग्रेज़ी टीका का हिंदी अनुवाद, जो Ramana Maharshi Centre for Learning,Bangalore से प्रकाशित हुआ है । I love Translation work. So far I have translated : I Am That (Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj's World Renowned English/Marathi/(in more than 17 + languages of the world) ...Vedanta- Classic in Hindi. J.Krishnamurti's works, : i) Ishwar Kyaa Hai, ii)Shiksha Kya Hai ? And some other Vedant-Classics. I am writing these blogs just as a hobby. It helps improve my skills and expressing-out myself. Thanks for your visit !! Contact : vinayvaidya111@gmail.com